Lemon-Garlic Sardine Fettuccine
Even sardine skeptics will enjoy this lemony pasta with crispy breadcrumbs. Substitute two 5- to 6-ounce cans chunk light tuna for the sardines if you prefer. If you are using tuna or can’t find sardines packed in tomato sauce, add 2 tablespoons tomato paste in Step 4 with the lemon juice. Serve with a salad of bitter greens tossed with a lemon vinaigrette and a glass of Pinot Grigio.
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
Yield: 4 servings, about 1 1/4 cups each
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 8 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (see Tip), preferably whole-wheat
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 3- to 4-ounce cans boneless, skinless sardines, preferably in tomato sauce, flaked
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant and sizzling but not brown, about 20 seconds. Transfer the garlic and oil to a large bowl.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in the pan over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and cook, stirring, until crispy and golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Whisk lemon juice, pepper and salt into the garlic oil. Add the pasta to the bowl along with sardines, parsley and Parmesan. Gently stir to combine. Serve sprinkled with the breadcrumbs.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs, trim crusts from whole-wheat bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/2 cup fresh crumbs.
Nutrition Per Serving: 475 calories; 21 g fat (4 g sat, 13 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 52 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 9 g fiber; 716 mg sodium; 427 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (33% daily value), Calcium (28% dv), Iron (23% dv), Magnesium (22% dv), Vitamin A (17% dv), Zinc (16% dv), omega-3s.
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 1/2 medium fat meat, 3 fat