Lentil soup is the base for this sausage and spinach casserole. Make it a meal: Serve with a simple green salad tossed with red-wine vinaigrette.
From EatingWell: October 1998, EatingWell Serves Two
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 2 links hot Italian-style turkey sausage
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 19-ounce can lentil soup
- 2 cups individually quick-frozen (IQF) spinach
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup uncooked converted white rice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 2- to 2 1/2-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Remove casings from sausage and crumble with a fork.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and onion; cook, stirring, until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add soup, spinach and oregano; heat through. Add rice and season with pepper. Transfer to the prepared baking dish; cover with foil. Bake until rice is tender, about 35 minutes. Top with Cheddar and bake uncovered until the cheese is melted, a few minutes longer.
Nutrition Per serving:
330 calories; 12 g fat (5 g sat, 1 g mono); 38 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 7 g fiber; 672 mg sodium; 545 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (198% daily value), Folate (41% dv), Vitamin C (38% dv), Iron (28% dv), Fiber (27% dv), Calcium (26% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat