Light Cheese Sauce
This cheese sauce, which can make almost anything taste better, is made with a combination of low-fat milk and flour to keep it light.
Yield: 1 1/4 cups
Active Time: 10
Total Time: 10
- 5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups nonfat milk, divided
- 2/3 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Whisk flour with 1/4 cup milk in a small bowl until smooth. Heat the remaining milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until steaming. Add the flour mixture and cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce bubbles and thickens, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in Cheddar, dry mustard, paprika, cayenne (if using) and salt.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat before serving.
Exchanges: 1 fat