Lime-Honey Glazed Chicken
The sweet and tangy lime-honey marinade is simmered on the stovetop and then used as a sauce to baste and glaze the chicken. Don't let the chicken marinate any longer than 2 hours; overmarinating in soy sauce and lime juice can make the texture of the meat spongy.Yield: 8 servings
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 210
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 6 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lime zest
- 6 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 6-ounce bone-in chicken thighs, skin and excess fat removed
- 2 12-ounce bone-in chicken breasts, skin and excess fat removed, cut in half crosswise
- Mix honey, soy sauce, lime zest, lime juice and crushed red pepper in a large bowl. Add chicken pieces; stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- About 20 minutes before you are ready to grill, preheat a gas grill (with all burners lit) to 400°F or build a fire in a charcoal grill and let it burn down to medium heat (about 400°F).
- If using a gas grill, turn off one burner (leaving 1 to 2 burners lit, depending on your grill). If using a charcoal grill, move the coals to one side. Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade (reserve marinade) and place bone-side down (with the thick part of the meat facing up) on the unheated side of the grill rack. Close the lid and roast undisturbed for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the marinade in a small saucepan over medium-high heat and boil until reduced by about half and thickened to a glaze, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Rotate the chicken to other spots on the unheated portion of the grill to ensure even cooking and lightly brush with some of the glaze. Cover and continue roasting, basting once more about halfway through cooking, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the meat without touching bone registers 165°F, 10 to 20 minutes more.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||7 g (2 g sat, 2 g mono)|
Carbohydrate Serving 1
Exchanges 3 1/2 lean meat, 1 carbohydrate (other)
From EatingWell May/June 2009