Inspired by the Linzertorte, a buttery Austrian confection, these raspberry-filled cookies are a pretty addition to your holiday cookie platter.
From EatingWell: November/December 1996
Yield: about 2 1/2 dozen cookies
Active Time: 45
Total Time: 120
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until the butter turns a nutty brown, about 1 minute. Pour into a small bowl.
- Combine sugar, oil and the browned butter in a mixing bowl; beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add egg and vanilla and beat until smooth. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together into the sugar mixture; mix on low speed just until blended.
- Divide the dough in half. Roll out between sheets of parchment or wax paper to an even 1/16-inch thickness. Transfer to a baking sheet, with the paper still attached, and freeze for at least 1 hour and for up to 3 days.
- Position oven rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray. With a 2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out an even number of circles. Cut the center out of half of the circles with a thimble or 1/2-inch round cookie cutter. Transfer the solid cookies to a prepared baking sheet with a metal spatula, spacing them about 1/2 inch apart. Lay the cookies with the holes on top of the solid cookies.
- Whisk raspberry jam in a small bowl until smooth. Spoon 1/2 teaspoon jam into the center of each cookie.
- Bake until the cookies are firm to the touch and lightly browned on the bottom, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on wire racks. Dust with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving: 67 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 40 mg sodium; 11 mg potassium.
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate