This easy cinnamon-spiked granola is loaded with almonds, walnuts and pepitas, but substitute other nuts and seeds if you prefer. For vegans who don’t eat honey, this can be made with all maple syrup.
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Yield: About 10 cups
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
- 6 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raw, unsalted pepitas (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a roasting pan or large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine oats, almonds, walnuts and pepitas in a large bowl. Whisk maple syrup, oil, honey, cinnamon, vanilla and salt in a medium bowl until blended. Pour over the oat mixture and toss to coat. Spread the mixture in the prepared pan.
- Bake, stirring every 15 minutes, until lightly and evenly browned and starting to dry out, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Let cool completely in the pan before serving or storing.
- Tip: Hulled pumpkin seeds, also known as pepitas, are green seeds with a delicate nutty flavor. They are sold raw, salted and/or roasted, and can be found in the natural-foods section of many super markets and natural-foods stores.
Nutrition Per 1/2-cup serving:
267 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 8 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 4 g fiber; 60 mg sodium; 222 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (32% daily value)
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 3 fat