Luscious Lemon Squares
This bake-sale bestseller deserved a fix. It was easy to cut the yolks from the filling but trickier to slim down the shortbread crust. We managed to trim the overall fat by half and maintain the tender crust. These are best served the day they are made.
From EatingWell: September/October 1992
Yield: 16 squares
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (1/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup lemon juice, (1 large lemon)
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting over top
- To make crust: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat the inside of an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Stir together cake flour and confectioners’ sugar in a large bowl. Cut cream cheese into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or your fingertips until crumbly. Gradually add oil, stirring with a fork. Toss with fingertips until evenly moistened. (The mixture will be crumbly.) Press into the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until light golden.
- To make filling: Beat egg whites, sugar and lemon zest together in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Stir together all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Add to the egg-white mixture and beat until blended. Beat in lemon juice. Pour over the hot crust and bake for about 20 minutes longer, or until the top is light golden and set. Let cool in the pan on a rack.
- Coat a sharp knife with cooking spray and cut into squares. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
Nutrition Per serving:
116 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 71 mg sodium; 34 mg potassium.
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat