A stunning golden-orange color, this lively sorbet is even more dramatic served with Raspberry Sauce.
From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
Yield: 8 servings, 1/2 cup each
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours (including chilling time)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 pounds ripe mangoes, (3 large or 4 medium), peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- Combine sugar and water in a saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the liquid comes to a full boil and the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
- Puree mango in a food processor or blender. Work the puree through a fine sieve. (This will remove any fibers, the amount of which can vary.) Measure out 2 cups of puree (freeze any extra for another use) and stir into the syrup, along with lime juice.
- Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions. (Alternatively, freeze the mixture in a shallow metal cake pan or ice cube trays until solid, about 6 hours. Break into chunks and process in a food processor until smooth.)
- Serve immediately or transfer to a storage container and let harden in the freezer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Serve in chilled dishes.
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 week. | Equipment: Ice cream maker or food processor
Nutrition Per serving:
175 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 4 mg sodium; 193 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (58% daily value), Vitamin A (18% dv).
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate