Very ripe mangoes make this simple Chinese pudding sublime. Traditionally, agar-agar—a derivative of seaweed—is used as the thickener. We use more commonly available gelatin and add sweetened condensed milk for a touch of creaminess. Use a very fine sieve for the smoothest texture. The recipe can be cut in half to make 4 puddings instead of 8.
Yield: 8 servings
Active Time: 40
Total Time: 160
- 2 envelopes envelopes unflavored gelatin (4 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 cup water
- 4-6 ripe mangoes, peeled and diced, or 5 cups diced frozen mango, thawed
- 1 14-ounce can nonfat sweetened condensed milk
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- Sprinkle gelatin over water in a small bowl; let stand until softened, about 1 minute. Microwave on High, uncovered, until the gelatin has completely dissolved but the liquid is not boiling, 10 to 20 seconds. (Alternatively, bring 1/2 inch water to a gentle simmer in a small skillet. Set the bowl with the gelatin mixture in the simmering water until the gelatin has dissolved completely.) Stir the mixture until smooth.
- Place mango in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth. Push through a very fine sieve into a large measuring cup until you have 2 cups puree. (Reserve any extra fruit or puree for a smoothie or yogurt topping.) Whisk the mango puree, sweetened condensed milk and lime juice in a medium bowl. Slowly whisk in the softened gelatin mixture until well combined.
- Lightly coat eight 6- to 10-ounce ramekins with cooking spray. Divide the pudding among the ramekins. Refrigerate until set, about 2 hours.
- To serve, run a knife around the inside of each ramekin to loosen the pudding. Dip the bottom of the ramekin in hot water for 30 to 40 seconds, then invert onto a serving plate, holding ramekin and plate tightly together.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 2 days. | Equipment: Eight 6- to 10-ounce ramekins
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Potassium & Vitamin A (18% dv).
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 fat-free milk, 1 carbohydrate (other)