Smoky Mustard-Maple Salmon for Two
It doesn’t get much easier—or more delicious—than this speedy recipe for roast salmon for two topped with a smoky maple-mustard sauce. The sweetness of the maple balances the tangy mustard; smoked paprika or ground chipotle adds another layer of flavor. Ask at the fish counter to have the salmon cut into two 4-ounce fillets with the skin removed. Serve with roasted green beans and whole-wheat couscous tossed with pecans and chives.
From EatingWell: September/October 2011
Yield: 2 servings
Active Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons whole-grain or Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika or ground chipotle pepper (see Notes)
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 2 4-ounce skinless center-cut wild-caught salmon fillets (see Notes)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a small baking sheet or baking pan with foil and coat with cooking spray.
- Combine mustard, maple syrup, paprika (or chipotle), pepper and salt in a small bowl. Place salmon fillets on the prepared baking sheet. Spread the mustard mixture evenly on the salmon. Roast until just cooked through, 8 to 12 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Notes: Smoked paprika is made from smoke-dried red peppers and adds earthy, smoky flavor. Look for different types of paprika at some large supermarkets or at tienda.com or penzeys.com.
- Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeño peppers. Ground chipotle chile pepper can be found in the spice section of most supermarkets or online at penzeys.com.
- Wild-caught salmon from the Pacific (preferably Alaskan) is considered the best choice for the environment because it is more sustainably fished and has a larger, more stable population. Farmed salmon, including Atlantic, should be avoided, as it endangers the wild salmon population. For more information, visit Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch at seafoodwatch.org.
Nutrition Per Serving: 148 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 0 g fiber; 276 mg sodium; 434 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Omega-3s