Mashed Roots with Buttermilk & Chives
Plain mashed potatoes may seem a bit tame after you've tried this flavorful version, full of celery root, rutabaga and Yukon Gold potatoes and mashed with sweet garlic and tangy buttermilk. Finish the dish with a handful of snipped fresh chives.
Yield: 8 servings, 3/4 cup each
Active Time: 20
Total Time: 60
- 2 pounds celery root, (celeriac), peeled (see Tip) and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound rutabaga, peeled (see Tip) and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 3/4 cup nonfat buttermilk, (see Tip)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup snipped fresh chives
- Bring 1 inch of water to a simmer in a large pan or Dutch oven. Place celery root, rutabaga and potatoes in a large steamer basket over the water, cover and steam over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Add garlic and continue steaming"checking the water level and replenishing as necessary"until the vegetables are fall-apart tender, 20 minutes more.
- Remove the vegetables, drain the cooking liquid and return the vegetables to the pan. Add 2 tablespoons butter and mash until chunky-smooth. Gradually stir in buttermilk, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Just before serving, stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and chives.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2 and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat in a double boiler and stir in the remaining butter and chives (Step 3) just before serving.
- Tips: To peel celery root and rutabaga, cut off one end to create a flat surface to keep it steady. Cut off the skin with your knife, following the contour of the root. Or use a vegetable peeler and peel around the root at least three times to ensure all the fibrous skin has been removed.
- No buttermilk? You can use buttermilk powder prepared according to package directions. Or make “sour milk”: mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup milk.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Potassium (22% dv),
1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat