Mediterranean Baked Penne
This Italian-inspired take on an American casserole is about as tasty as a one-dish meal can get.
From EatingWell: November 1997
Yield: 8 servings
Active Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- 1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, (about 1 pound), chopped
- 1 green or red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 28-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped, juice reserved
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound dried penne rigate, or rigatoni
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 3-quart baking dish with nonstick spray. Coat the dish with 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, tapping out the excess. Put a pot of water on to boil for cooking pasta.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini, eggplant, bell pepper, onion and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add wine and stir until almost evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and juice. Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, cook penne (or rigatoni) in boiling salted water until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and rinse well. Toss pasta with the vegetable mixture and stir in mozzarella.
- Spoon the pasta mixture into prepared baking dish and drizzle eggs evenly over the top. In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup breadcrumbs and Parmesan. Sprinkle evenly over the top.
- Bake pasta until golden and bubbly, 40 to 50 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3, cover and chill for up to 2 days.
Nutrition Per serving:
387 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 57 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 5 g fiber; 312 mg sodium; 315 mg potassium.
3 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat