Mediterranean Lima Beans
Canned tomatoes and frozen chopped onions and lima beans make this hearty side dish a cinch. If you like, make it more substantial with the addition of crumbled feta cheese or chopped Greek olives.
Yield: 6 servings, 1 cup each
Active Time: 25
Total Time: 25
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen onions
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 2 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 2 10-ounce packages frozen baby lima beans, (4 cups)
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Stir in oregano, cinnamon, crushed red pepper, tomatoes and lima beans. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are fully cooked and the mixture is heated through, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve hot.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (37% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv), Magnesium (15% dv).
1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 1 fat (mono)