Mediterranean Tuna Antipasto Salad for Two
Capers, red onion and fresh herbs give canned tuna and beans a light, fresh taste. Here we serve the tuna salad on a bed of greens. It also works well stuffed into a pita for a sandwich. Give it some extra kick with a pinch of crushed red pepper or cayenne. Serve with olive bread.
From EatingWell: July/August 2009, EatingWell Serves Two
Yield: 2 servings
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1/2 15- to 19-ounce can beans, such as chickpeas, black-eyed peas or kidney beans, rinsed, or 1 7-ounce can
- 1 5- to 6-ounce can water-packed chunk light tuna, drained and flaked (see Note)
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 2 teaspoons capers, rinsed
- 3/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- Combine beans, tuna, bell pepper, onion, parsley, capers, rosemary, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 1 tablespoon oil in a medium bowl. Season with pepper. Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 tablespoon oil and salt in a large bowl. Add salad greens; toss to coat. Divide the greens between 2 plates. Top each with the tuna salad.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Nutrition Per Serving: 326 calories; 17 g fat (2 g sat, 11 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 10 g fiber; 652 mg sodium; 681 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (160% daily value), Vitamin A (100% dv), Folate (42% dv), Potassium & Iron (20% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat