Mini Shepherd's Pies
In EatingWell's take on Shepherd's Pie, we replace the potato topping with convenient, delicious frozen squash puree. And they're baked in individual ramekins to guarantee perfectly sized servings and help you get it on the table fast.
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 12 ounces 93%-lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 6 ounces baby spinach, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 2 12-ounce packages frozen winter squash puree, thawed
- 1/3 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, stir in beef, flour and tomato paste, and cook, stirring, until the beef is mostly browned, about 3 minutes. Add broth, scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the broth is the consistency of thick gravy, about 4 minutes. Stir in spinach, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder; cook until the spinach is just wilted, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Place squash in a fine-mesh sieve and gently press on it to extract excess liquid. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder. Divide the meat mixture among four 10-ounce broiler-safe ramekins. Top each with about 1/2 cup of the squash. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet.
- Broil until heated through and bubbling around the edges, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and broil until it is just melted, about 3 minutes more.
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Four 10-ounce broiler-safe ramekins
Nutrition Per serving:
310 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 3 g mono); 70 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 5 g fiber; 708 mg sodium; 421 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (175% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv), Zinc (33% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat