Minted Peas & Rice with Feta
The flavors of fresh mint and feta enliven this instant brown rice. Toss any leftovers with some cooked shrimp for a satisfying, easy lunch.
From EatingWell: February/March 2006, EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook (2008)
Yield: 4 servings, 3/4 cup each
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup instant brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, (6 ounces)
- 3/4 cup sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup finely crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh mint
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add rice and bring to a simmer; cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 4 minutes. Stir in peas and return to a simmer over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook until the peas are hot and the rice has absorbed most of the liquid, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in scallions, feta, mint and pepper. Cover and let stand until the liquid is absorbed, 3 to 5 minutes.
Nutrition Per serving:
134 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 4 g fiber; 321 mg sodium; 203 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (30% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 lean meat