Montreal-style bagels are smaller and sweeter than their counterparts.
From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Yield: 14 2 1/2-ounce bagels
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours
- 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon lightly beaten egg
- 1 teaspoon malt syrup, or powder
- 4-5 cups white bread flour, preferably unbleached
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 quarts water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup poppy seeds, or sesame seeds
- To make bagel dough & shape bagels: Whisk together 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water, 3 tablespoons honey, sugar, oil, yeast, egg and malt syrup (or powder) in a large bowl until the yeast dissolves. Stir in 1 cup of the flour. Then stir in salt and enough additional flour to make a soft dough, about 2 1/2 cups.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead, gradually incorporating more flour, until the dough is smooth and quite firm, 10 to 12 minutes. Cover the dough with a dish towel and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 14 pieces; roll each piece into a 10-inch-long rope. Form into bagels by overlapping the ends up 1 inch. Pinch ends together firmly. Set bagels aside, uncovered, to rise until slightly puffy, about 20 minutes.
- To kettle & bake bagels: Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. In a large soup pot, bring water and 1/4 cup honey to a boil.
- Slip several risen bagels at a time into the pot"the water should be at a healthy simmer. Cook for 45 seconds, turn them over with a slotted spoon or tongs, and cook for 45 seconds longer. Drain the bagels on a clean dish towel and place on the prepared baking sheet(s). Sprinkle the bagels generously with poppy (or sesame) seeds. Place in the oven, reduce heat to 425°F and bake for 12 minutes. Turn over and bake until golden brown, about 5 more minutes.
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze fresh (and properly cooled) bagels immediately unless you are eating them all that day.
- Freeze fresh (and properly cooled) bagels immediately unless you are eating them all that day.
Nutrition Per serving:
213 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 83 mg sodium; 65 mg potassium.
2 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat