Mozzarella en Carrozza
Loosely translated as “mozzarella in a carriage,” Mozzarella en Carrozza is a fried mozzarella sandwich with a pungent anchovy-butter sauce. For this healthier rendition, we brown one side on the stovetop and finish the sandwich in a hot oven. The result: a crisp “carriage” and creamy, savory mozzarella filling. Enjoy with a glass of dry Italian white wine.
Yield: 2 servings
Active Time: 25
Total Time: 25
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 anchovy fillets, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon drained capers
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 1/2 -inch-thick slices Italian bread
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine mozzarella, mayonnaise, mustard, anchovies, capers and pepper in a small bowl. Spread the mixture over 2 slices of bread. Top with the remaining bread to form sandwiches.
- Whisk egg and milk in a small shallow dish. Combine flour and cayenne in another small shallow dish. Dip each sandwich into the egg mixture and turn to coat, letting the excess drip off. Dredge lightly in flour and dip again in the egg mixture.
- Brush a heavy ovenproof skillet, preferably cast-iron, with oil. Heat over medium-high heat. Add the sandwiches and cook until the underside is golden, about 1 minute. Turn the sandwiches over and transfer the pan to the oven. Bake until golden and heated through, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (46% daily value), Calcium (30% dv), Iron (15% dv)
2 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat