For midwinter cheer, pull up a mug of something warm and spirited.
From EatingWell: January/February 1999
Yield: 8 servings, about 1/2 cup each
Active Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 bottle (750 ml) dry red wine, such as Merlot
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar, or to taste
- 3 whole cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Pinch of ground allspice
- 2 strips fresh orange peel
- 2 strips fresh lemon peel
- Combine wine, water, sugar, cloves, nutmeg, cardamom, allspice, orange and lemon peel in a large saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Nutrition Per serving:
104 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 4 mg sodium; 119 mg potassium.
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate