Mushroom Barley Soup
Float some homemade croutons on top of this soup for extra flavor and body. Serve with an amber beer and a salad of mixed greens with Buttermilk Ranch Dressing.
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Yield: 2 servings, 2 cups each
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup Marsala, or cream sherry (see Note)
- 1 14-ounce can vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- Heat oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, carrot, celery, onion, mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the vegetables release some of their juices, about 3 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and continue to cook, stirring often, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes.
- Add Marsala (or sherry) and cook, stirring, until reduced, 1 to 2 minutes. Add broth, water and barley; bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables and barley are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Note: Marsala and cream sherry, fortified wines, are flavorful and economical additions to many sauces. Store opened bottles in a cool, dry place for months.
Nutrition Per serving:
208 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 5 g fiber; 579 mg sodium; 730 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value), Potassium (21% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetables, 1 1/2 fat