Mushroom-Beef Noodle Soup
You don’t need much beef in this homey mushroom-beef noodle soup recipe, since mushrooms and a little Worcestershire sauce give it plenty of savory flavor.
Yield: 8 servings, about 1 2/3 cups each
Active Time: 50
Total Time: 75
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 pound boneless sirloin or flank steak, trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 large turnip, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole-wheat egg noodles, cooked
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley or dill for garnish
- Place porcini in a bowl; add boiling water and soak for 10 minutes to soften. Line a sieve with a paper towel, place over a bowl and strain, reserving the liquid; finely chop the porcini and set aside.
- Heat oil in a soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook celery, carrots and garlic, stirring frequently, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Add cremini and onion; cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to the bowl.
- Add steak to the pot and cook on medium-high, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes; add tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add wine and Worcestershire and cook until the sauce thickens slightly, about 30 seconds. Stir in the porcini and liquid, reserved vegetables, broth, turnip, bay leaf, thyme, pepper and salt; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf. Stir in noodles. Garnish with herbs, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3 and refrigerate for up to 3 days; stir in noodles just before serving.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (84% daily value), Potassium (23% dv), Vitamin C (19% dv)
1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat