Braising is an excellent way to tenderize an inexpensive cut of meat like top round—and create a rich-tasting sauce. Embellished with mushrooms, colorful bell peppers and a dollop of low-fat sour cream, it becomes downright luxurious. Try serving this over barley instead or whole-wheat egg noodles.Yield: 4 servings, 3/4 cup each
Active Time: 20
Total Time: 120
- 8 ounces beef top round, trimmed
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 pound button mushrooms, sliced (about 6 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Slice beef across the grain into thin strips. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a Dutch oven over high heat. Add beef and cook until browned on all sides, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add 1 teaspoon oil to the pot. Add onion and cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, flour and paprika; cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add broth, mustard and the reserved beef. Bring to a simmer, cover the pot and transfer to the oven. Bake the stroganoff until the beef is very tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add bell peppers and cook, stirring, about 1 minute. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until the mushroom liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the vegetables and sour cream to the stroganoff; stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with parsley.
Tips & Notes
- Braising meat not only tenderizes it, it creates a rich-tasting broth. Try it for chili.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||9 g (3 g sat, 4 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Vitamin C (142% daily value), Vitamin A (53% dv), Selenium (36% dv), Potassium (24% dv), Zinc (21% dv), Folate (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Serving 1
Exchanges 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat