Mushroom & Spinach Crepes
Try these crepes, filled with spinach and meaty mushrooms and topped with crumbled goat cheese, for a light supper with a salad on the side.
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
Yield: 6 crepes
Active Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes (including 30 minutes resting time)
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour, preferably white whole-wheat (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons canola oil or melted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces sliced mixed mushrooms (about 3 3/4 cups)
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 1/2 cup seltzer water
- 6 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
- Process whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, salt, eggs, milk and oil (or butter) in a blender or food processor until smooth, scraping the sides once or twice. Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, shallots, rosemary and salt and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are soft and have released their liquid, about 6 minutes. Stir in spinach a handful at a time and cook until wilted, about 4 minutes. Cover to keep warm.
- Slowly whisk seltzer into the batter. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Ladle 1/3 cup batter into the center of the pan; immediately tilt and rotate the pan to spread evenly over the bottom.
- Cook until the underside is lightly browned, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Using a heatproof silicon or rubber spatula, lift the edge, then quickly grasp the crepe with your fingers and flip. Cook until the second side is lightly browned, about 20 seconds. Slide onto a plate.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, spraying the pan as needed and stacking crepes as you go. If the pan begins to smoke, reduce the heat to medium. Cover crepes with a clean kitchen towel or keep warm in a 200°F oven.
- To assemble, place a crepe on a clean cutting board. Spread a generous 1/3 cup of the mushroom filling in the center, leaving a 1- to 2-inch border. Top with 1 tablespoon goat cheese. Fold in the sides to make a square shape, leaving a “window” in the center. Press down on the corners, as necessary, to help keep the crepe folded. Repeat with the remaining crepes and filling. Garnish with rosemary, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: To make ahead: Prepare the batter through Step 1 and refrigerate for up to 12 hours; refrigerate crepes between sheets of wax paper and wrapped in plastic for up to 2 days.
- White whole-wheat flour, made from a special variety of white wheat, is light in color and flavor but has the same nutritional properties as regular whole-wheat flour. It is available at large supermarkets and natural-foods stores and online at bobsredmill.com or kingarthurflour.com. Store it in the freezer.
Nutrition Per Serving: 205 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 98 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 2 g fiber; 388 mg sodium; 417 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (48% daily value), Folate (22% dv), Iron (20% dv)
1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat