Mussels with Cider & Bacon
Flavored with apple cider and sage, these steamed mussels are the perfect meal for a cool fall night. Soak up the sauce with your favorite rustic whole-grain bread.
From EatingWell: The Simple Art of EatingWell
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 pounds mussels, cleaned (see Tip)
- Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring, until starting to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; pour off the fat from the pan and wipe out any remaining fat.
- Add oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until just starting to brown, 30 seconds to 4 minutes.
- Add cider, vinegar, sage, salt and pepper; bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in mussels. Cover and cook just until the mussels have opened, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat (discard any unopened mussels). Stir in the bacon. Serve with the sauce from the pan.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: When shopping for mussels, look for ones that are closed—or those open only a fraction of an inch. When you get them home, store them in a large bowl with a few damp paper towels on top for up to 1 day. To clean them, discard mussels with broken shells or whose shell remains open after you tap it. Hold mussels under running water and use a stiff brush to remove any barnacles; pull off any black fibrous “beards”. (Some mussels may not have a beard.) Mussels should be “debearded” no more than 30 minutes before cooking.
Nutrition Per Serving: 281 calories; 13 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 1 g fiber; 527 mg sodium; 310 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (25% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv), Folate (15% dv)
1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 lean meat, 2 fat