Whole almonds add beneficial monounsaturated fats to EatingWell's spin on this Indonesian-style fried rice. For added flavor, texture and nutritional oomph, our Nasi Goreng is brimming with fresh vegetables and accompanied with fresh slices of cool cucumber and tomato. To make it vegetarian we've substituted soy sauce for the fish sauce that's typically used as a seasoning.
Yield: 6 servings
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 30
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 4 small shallots, peeled
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons whole almonds
- 2 small chile peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons peanut or canola oil, divided
- 2 cups finely chopped or shredded vegetables, such as yellow bell pepper, cabbage and broccoli
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons kecap manis, (see Ingredient Note)
- 4 cups cooked and cooled brown rice
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 1 small cucumber, sliced
- Generously coat a wok or large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Pour in eggs, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, lifting the edges so uncooked egg flows underneath, until mostly set, 1 to 2 minutes. Slide out of the pan onto a clean cutting board. When cool enough to handle, cut into thin strips.
- Place shallots, garlic, almonds and chiles in a food processor. Process to a thick paste. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the wok (or pan) over medium-high heat. Add the paste and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add vegetables and cook, stirring, until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Add the shallot paste, soy sauce, kecap manis and rice and stir until combined and heated through, about 2 minutes more. Transfer the Nasi Goreng to a platter. Top with the strips of egg and scallions. Arrange tomato and cucumber slices around the edges.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient note: Kecap manis is a thick, palm sugar-sweetened soy sauce. It's used as a flavoring, marinade or condiment in Indonesian cooking. Find it in Asian food markets or online at importfood.com. To substitute for kecap manis, whisk 1 part molasses with 1 part reduced-sodium soy sauce.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Selenium (26% dv), Magnesium (19% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
2 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat