New Mornay Sauce
Pureed low-fat cottage cheese contributes a rich dairy flavor and Gruyère and Parmesan add nuance to a healthier take on classic Mornay sauce. Use it to entice little ones to eat their vegetables.
Yield: 3/4 cup
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup nonfat milk, divided
- 1/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese, preferably Gruyère
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese, (optional)
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs, (optional)
- Stir flour and 2 tablespoons milk in a small bowl to make a smooth paste. Heat the remaining milk in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat until steaming. Whisk the flour paste into the hot milk and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and whisk in cottage cheese, Swiss cheese, salt and white pepper. Transfer the sauce to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Serve over steamed vegetables and top with Parmesan and breadcrumbs, if desired.
Nutrition Per tablespoon:
20 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 55 mg sodium; 29 mg potassium.
Exchanges: free food