Pearl Onion, Celery & Pickling Spice Vinegar
Try this vinegar infused with onion, celery and pickling spice as a quick seasoning for steamed potatoes or roasted cauliflower or combine with an equal portion of olive oil and use as a marinade for steamed beets. The recipe makes enough vinegar so you’ll have extra to decant into a decorative bottle or two to give away as a simple homemade gift.
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
Yield: 6 cups
Active Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes (plus 3-4 weeks infusing)
- 6 cups cider vinegar
- 3 small stalks celery
- 9 pearl onions, peeled and halved
- 3 teaspoons pickling spice
- Additional fresh herbs for decoration (optional)
- Wash 3 pint-size (2-cup) heatproof glass canning jars (or similar containers) and their lids with hot soapy water. Rinse well with hot water. Fill a large, deep pot (such as a water bath canner) about half full with water. Place the jars upright into the pot; add enough additional water to cover by 2 inches. Bring the water to a boil; boil jars for 10 minutes. Add the lids to the pot, and then remove the pot from the heat. Let the jars and lids stay in the hot water as you prepare the flavoring and vinegar. (Keeping the jars warm minimizes breakage when filling with hot liquid.)
- Thoroughly rinse celery with water. Remove the jars from the water with a jar lifter or tongs. Divide the celery, onions and pickling spice among the jars. Heat vinegar in a large saucepan to a bare simmer (at least 190°F). Carefully divide the vinegar among the prepared jars, leaving at least 1/4-inch of space between the top of the jar and the vinegar. Remove lids from the water bath, dry with a clean towel and screw tightly onto the jars.
- Store the jars in a cool, dark place, undisturbed, for 3 to 4 weeks. Strain vinegar through cheesecloth into another container. Repeat as needed until all the sediment is removed and the vinegar is clear. Discard all solids and pour the strained vinegar back into rinsed jars or divide among sterilized decorative bottles. Decorate with a well-rinsed stalk of celery, onion and/or pickling spice, if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving: 3 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 0 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 0 mg sodium; 0 mg potassium.
0 Carbohydrate Serving