Orange & Avocado Salad
This colorful salad would be a welcome addition to a Mexican-inspired meal.
From EatingWell: February/March 2006, EatingWell Serves Two
Yield: 4 servings, about 2 cups each
Active Time: 25
Total Time: 25
- 1 cup packed cilantro
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of minced garlic
- 2 large oranges
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup slivered red onion
- 1/2 cup Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette
- To prepare vinaigrette: Puree cilantro, oil, lime juice, orange juice, salt, pepper and garlic in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- To prepare salad: Slice both ends off oranges. With a sharp knife, remove the peel and white pith; discard. Working over a salad bowl, cut the segments from their surrounding membrane; discard the membrane. Add greens, avocado, onion and vinaigrette; toss to coat. (Refrigerate the extra dressing for up to 2 days.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The recipe makes 1 1/4 cups dressing (Step 1); cover and refrigerate extra dressing for up to 2 days.
Nutrition Per Serving: 228 calories; 19 g fat (3 g sat, 14 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 7 g fiber; 149 mg sodium; 701 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (89% daily value), Vitamin A (66% dv), Folate (47% dv), Potassium (20% dv)
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 3 fat