Orange-Walnut Salad with Chicken
Orange segments, toasted walnuts and tangy goat cheese brighten up this simple salad. Try this salad for a take-along lunch. To keep the salad greens from getting soggy, pack the greens, salad toppings and dressing in separate containers and toss them together just before eating.
From EatingWell: March/April 2011
Yield: 1 serving
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1/3 cup walnut oil
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups mixed greens
- 1/2 cup diced or shredded cooked chicken breast (see Notes)
- 1 orange, cut into segments (see Notes)
- 2 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons toasted walnuts (see Notes)
- Place oil, orange juice, vinegar, garlic, orange zest, soy sauce, salt and pepper in a bowl or a jar with a tight-fitting lid; whisk or shake until well combined.
- Place greens in an individual salad bowl; toss with 2 tablespoons of the dressing. (Refrigerate the remaining dressing.) Top the greens with chicken, orange segments, goat cheese and walnuts.
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate leftover dressing for up to 5 days.
- Note: If you don’t have cooked chicken, you can quickly poach a boneless, skinless chicken breast for this recipe. Place the chicken breast in small skillet or saucepan. Add lightly salted water (or chicken broth) to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 15 minutes.
- To segment citrus, slice both ends off the fruit. Use a sharp knife, remove the peel and white pith; discard. Working over a bowl, cut the segments from their surrounding membranes. Squeeze juice into the bowl before discarding membrane, if desired.
- To toast whole nuts, spread on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
Nutrition Per serving:
466 calories; 29 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 71 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 8 g fiber; 294 mg sodium; 1060 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (173% daily value), Vitamin A (101% dv), Folate (63% dv), Potassium (30% dv), Magnesium (26% dv), Calcium & Iron (21% dv)
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fruit, 3 1/2 lean meat, 4 fat