Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe
Lots of chopped broccoli rabe, fresh garlic, olive oil and a touch of crushed red pepper is a simple sauce for orecchiette.
From EatingWell: September/October 1995
Yield: 6 servings
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 pounds broccoli rabe
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat orecchiette, or other small sturdy pasta
- Trim broccoli rabe, removing any stems thicker than a pencil. You should have about 1 1/2 pounds.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch the broccoli rabe, in two batches if necessary, just until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. (Reserve the water to cook the pasta.) Transfer the broccoli rabe with tongs to a sieve and run under cold water to stop the cooking. Drain well, then coarsely chop.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook until the garlic is fragrant and lightly colored, about 3 minutes. Add coarsely and cook about 30 seconds. Add the chopped broccoli rabe, season with salt and toss to coat with the seasonings. Cook, stirring, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Keep warm.
- Cook orecchiette in the same water used to blanch the broccoli rabe until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain. Transfer to a warm bowl. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and toss to coat. Add the broccoli rabe mixture and toss again. Serve immediately on warm plates.
Nutrition Per serving:
363 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 64 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 7 g fiber; 113 mg sodium; 10 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (232% daily value), Vitamin A (196% dv).
4 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat