Pasta with Eggplant Ragu
Earthy eggplant teams up with jarred marinara sauce and bell peppers for a simple pasta sauce. Make it a meal: To round out the meal, just add a green salad and some good crusty bread.Yield: 6 servings
Active Time: 15
Total Time: 40
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 eggplant, (1-1 1/4 pounds), diced
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups prepared marinara sauce
- 1 yellow or red bell pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 12 ounces pasta, preferably penne
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, or 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add eggplant and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in marinara sauce and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is almost tender, about 20 minutes. Add bell pepper and basil; cover and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling water until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and toss with sauce. Sprinkle with feta (or Parmesan) and serve.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||8 g (3 g sat, 2 g mono)|
Carbohydrate Serving 4
Exchanges 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat