Quick Pastrami Hash & Eggs
When we’re in a hurry, we love to have breakfast for dinner. Precooked diced potatoes—available in the refrigerated section of most supermarkets—help make this pastrami hash ultra-fast. (If you have leftover cooked potatoes, use about 3 cups diced cooked potatoes instead.) Serve with rye toast and sautéed spinach.
From EatingWell: September/October 2011
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 16- to 18-ounce package precooked diced potatoes (peeled or unpeeled)
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon plus a pinch of salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon plus a pinch of freshly ground pepper, divided
- 5 ounces deli pastrami, diced (about 1 generous cup)
- 4 large eggs
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and add potatoes, onion, bell pepper, paprika and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Stir to combine, then spread in an even layer in the pan and cook, undisturbed, for 3 minutes. Stir in pastrami, spread back into an even layer and cook undisturbed again until a crust starts to form on the bottom, about 5 minutes more. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
- Just after you add the pastrami to the hash, coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Crack each egg into a small bowl and slip them, one at a time, into the skillet, taking care not to break the yolks. Season with the remaining pinch of salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook undisturbed for about 2 minutes for soft-set yolks.
- Divide the hash among 4 plates and top each serving with an egg.
Nutrition Per serving:
307 calories; 14 g fat (4 g sat, 8 g mono); 210 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 3 g fiber; 611 mg sodium; 638 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (58% daily value), Zinc (19% dv), Potassium (18% dv).
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat