Three-Pea, Cashew & Tofu Stir-Fry
Pressing tofu before making this tofu stir-fry recipe gives it a chewy, satisfying texture. Three green peas—sugar snaps, snow peas and shelling peas—balance it out with brightly flavored crunch. Hoisin—a dark brown, thick, spicy-sweet sauce made from soybeans and a complex mix of spices—gives the stir-fry rich depth of flavor with just one ingredient. Look for it, as well as chile-garlic sauce, in the Asian section of the market.
Yield: 4 servings, about 1 3/4 cups each
Active Time: 50
Total Time: 50
- 1 14-ounce package water-packed extra-firm or firm tofu, drained
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chile-garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 1/2 cups sugar snap peas (8 ounces), trimmed
- 2 1/4 cups snow peas (8 ounces), trimmed
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 1/2 cup lightly salted cashew halves and pieces
- Fold a clean kitchen towel and place it on a cutting board or large plate. Set tofu on the towel. Put another folded clean towel over the tofu and place a flat, heavy weight (such as a heavy skillet) on top; drain for 30 minutes.
- Whisk hoisin sauce, soy sauce and chile-garlic sauce in a small bowl.
- Cut the pressed tofu into 1/2-inch cubes. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Add the tofu and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Return the skillet to the heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Stir in onion, garlic and ginger; cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add snap peas, snow peas and peas; cook, stirring often, until bright green, 2 to 3 minutes. Return the tofu to the pan along with the hoisin mixture and cashews; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (75% daily value), Calcium & Iron (30% dv), Magnesium (28% dv), Vitamin A (26% dv), Folate (21% dv), Zinc (16% dv)
1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium fat meat, 3 fat