Pear & Celery Root Slaw
Pears, celery root, carrots and onion combine in this flavorful fall slaw recipe. Use underripe pears to keep the texture crisp. Cutting the pears and celery root by hand into little matchsticks makes a prettier salad, but go ahead and shred them with a box grater if you’re in a hurry.
Yield: 6 servings, generous 3/4 cup each
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 30
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 slightly underripe pears, cut into matchsticks (about 4 cups)
- 1 small celery root, peeled (see Tips), cut into matchsticks (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup julienne-cut carrots (see Tips) or 2 medium carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup very thinly sliced red onion
Whisk mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, caraway seeds, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add pears, celery root, carrots and onion and toss to coat. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: To peel celery root, remove the thick skin with a knife or use a vegetable peeler and peel around the root at least three times to make sure to remove the layer of the fibrous skin.
- Look for peeled and precut carrots, called “julienne-cut,” with other prepared vegetables in the produce department.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (69% daily value).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable