Pesto & Mozzarella Stuffed Pork Chops
Pesto gives great flavor to the oozy mozzarella stuffing in this breaded pork chops recipe.
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 45
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 2 tablespoons plus 2/3 cup fine breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat, divided
- 4 bone-in pork chops, 1/2-3/4 inch thick (about 2 pounds), trimmed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine mozzarella, pesto and 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs in a small bowl.
- Cut a horizontal slit in each pork chop along the side opposite the bone, nearly through to the opposite side, so it forms a “pocket.” Stuff each chop with the cheese mixture (about 2 tablespoons each).
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl. Whisk egg whites in another shallow bowl. Place the remaining 2/3 cup breadcrumbs in a third shallow bowl.
- Dredge each pork chop first in the flour, shaking off the excess, then dip in egg white to coat. Coat on both sides with breadcrumbs, pressing to help the crumbs stick.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 2 pork chops and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer the pork chops to a baking sheet. Wipe out the pan and repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 2 chops.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake until the pork chops are cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.
Nutrition Per Serving: 390 calories; 22 g fat (6 g sat, 12 g mono); 79 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 35 g protein; 1 g fiber; 391 mg sodium; 424 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium & Zinc (19% daily value)
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 4 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat