Pesto-Topped Grilled Summer Squash
Toasty rustic pesto takes simple grilled squash from ordinary to exceptional with tangy lemon and fresh garlic. Serve as a side dish or chop the grilled squash, combine with the pesto and toss with pasta for a light entree.
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 30
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium summer squash, (about 1 pound), sliced diagonally 1/4 inch thick
- Canola or olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Combine basil, pine nuts, oil, Parmesan, garlic, lemon juice and salt in a small bowl.
- Coat both sides of squash slices with cooking spray. Grill the squash until browned and tender, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Serve topped with the pesto.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast pine nuts, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat