Pineapple & Ham Bread Soufflé
A bread pudding-soufflé hybrid, this dish gets its inspiration from a rich, pineapple soufflé traditionally served as an accompaniment to baked ham. We turned it into a main dish, putting the ham straight into the soufflé. Then, we improved the nutritional profile by omitting heavy cream and butter and choosing whole-wheat bread over white. For the best texture and flavor, look for soft whole-wheat sandwich bread without any added malt or molasses. Be sure to use canned, not fresh pineapple—fresh pineapple makes the soufflé too wet.
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
Yield: 6 servings, about 1 2/3 cups each
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 1/4 hours
- 1 pound soft whole-wheat sandwich bread, crusts removed
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 3 8-ounce cans crushed pineapple, very well drained
- 1 1/2 cups finely diced ham steak
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 2 1/2-quart soufflé or casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Process bread in a food processor in three batches, until coarse crumbs form (about 5 cups).
- Whisk 2 egg yolks (discard the remaining yolks or reserve for another use), milk, pineapple and ham in a large bowl. Stir in the breadcrumbs and butter.
- Beat 6 egg whites, sugar and salt in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Gently fold the whites into the bread mixture in two batches. Transfer to the prepared dish.
- Bake the soufflé until puffed, golden and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers at least 160°F, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 2 1/2-quart soufflé or casserole dish
Nutrition Per serving:
475 calories; 16 g fat (7 g sat, 5 g mono); 117 mg cholesterol; 59 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 6 g fiber; 493 mg sodium; 320 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (37% daily value), Vitamin C & Iron (20% dv), Calcium (16% dv).
3 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 fruit, 2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat