Pineapple-Pecan Quick Bread
Pineapple makes this quick bread moist and flavorful.
From EatingWell: October/November 2005
Yield: 12 servings
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 1/4 hours (muffins) - 1 1/2 hours (mini loaves) - 2 1/4 hours (large loaf)
- Quick-Bread Dry Mix, (recipe follows)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup nonfat buttermilk, (see Tips)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups diced pineapple, fresh or canned, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans, (see Tips), plus more for topping if desired
- Preheat oven to 400°F for muffins, mini loaves and mini Bundts or 375°F for a large loaf. Coat pan(s) (see "Pan Options") with cooking spray.
- Prepare Quick-Bread Dry Mix.
- Whisk eggs, buttermilk, brown sugar, butter, oil and vanilla in a large bowl until well combined.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, pour in the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Add pineapple and pecans. Stir just to combine; do not overmix. Transfer batter to the prepared pan(s). Top with additional pecans, if desired.
- Bake until golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, 22 to 25 minutes for muffins or mini Bundts, 35 minutes for mini loaves, 1 hour 10 minutes for a large loaf. Let cool in the pan(s) for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. Let muffins and mini Bundts cool for 5 minutes more, mini loaves for 30 minutes, large loaves for 40 minutes.
- Make Ahead Tip: Store, individually wrapped, at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- Tips: No buttermilk? Mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice into 1 cup milk.
- To toast walnuts, pecans or hazelnuts, spread nuts onto a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes. To toast sliced almonds, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Pan Options:
- Each of these recipes will make:
- 1 large loaf (9-by-5-inch pan)
- 3 mini loaves (6-by-3-inch pan, 2-cup capacity)
- 6 mini Bundt cakes (6-cup mini Bundt pan, scant 1-cup capacity per cake)
- 12 muffins (standard 12-cup, 2 1/2-inch muffin pan)
Nutrition Per serving:
223 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 41 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 182 mg sodium; 93 mg potassium.
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 other carb, 1.5 fat (mono)