These pistachio-ginger cookies make a fine accompaniment to a fruit compote.
Yield: 2 dozen cookies
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped skinned pistachios, rinsed if salted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add pistachios and stir until the butter is lightly browned, about 1 minute. Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Whisk in sugar. Add flour, egg whites and ginger and whisk until smooth. Drop the batter by heaping teaspoonfuls, about 2 inches apart, onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake, one sheet at a time, until golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Immediately transfer the cookies with a spatula to a rack to cool. If the cookies begin to stick before all are removed, return the pan briefly to the oven.
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Nutrition Per cookie:
41 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 5 mg sodium; 21 mg potassium.
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate