A fruit crumble offers the luscious flavor of a fresh fruit pie without the fuss of making a crust. Celebrate late-summer with plums in this rich-tasting crumble. The nut-studded topping works great with other fruit combinations too.
From EatingWell: Summer 2002, The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
Yield: 8 servings, 1/2 cup each
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 2 pounds plums, pitted and cut into eighths (6 cups)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats, (not instant)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon chopped slivered almonds, or walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat vanilla ice cream, or nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Coat an 8-by-8-inch baking dish (or similar 1 1/2- to 2-quart dish) with cooking spray.
- To prepare filling: Combine plums, sugar, orange zest, orange juice in a large bowl; toss to coat. Place filling in the prepared baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make topping: Mix flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl with a fork. Add butter and blend with a pastry blender or your fingertips. Add oil and stir to coat. Add orange juice concentrate and blend with your fingertips until dry ingredients are moistened.
- When the filling has baked for 20 minutes, stir it and sprinkle topping evenly over the surface. Sprinkle with almonds (or walnuts). Bake, uncovered, until the fillin is bubbly and tender and topping is lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes more. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream (or frozen yogurt), if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving: 276 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 35 mg sodium; 356 mg potassium.
3 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat