Pork Chops with Quick Rhubarb Sauce
This grilled pork chop recipe features a savory rhubarb sauce that can cook in the microwave while you grill the pork chops.
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
Yield: 4 servings, 1 pork chop & 1/4 cup sauce each
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 4 bone-in pork chops, 1/2-3/4 inch thick (about 2 pounds), trimmed
- 1/2 cup 100% pomegranate juice
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups sliced rhubarb, fresh or frozen (thawed and drained)
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Combine thyme, oil and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a small bowl. Smear evenly all over pork chops.
- Combine juice, broth, honey, shallots and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a glass pie pan (or see Tips). Microwave, uncovered, on High until reduced by about half, 6 to 9 minutes. Stir in rhubarb and microwave, stirring once, until the rhubarb is beginning to break down, 3 to 6 minutes more. Stir in butter.
- Meanwhile, oil the grill rack (see Tips). Grill the pork chops, turning once, until cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Serve with the rhubarb sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: No Microwave? To make rhubarb sauce (Step 3), bring juice, broth, honey, shallots, salt and pepper to a simmer in a medium saucepan and cook until reduced by half, 8 to 12 minutes. Stir in rhubarb and return to a simmer; cover, reduce heat to low and cook until the rhubarb is beginning to break down, about 4 minutes. Stir in butter.
- Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to coat the food with cooking spray.
Nutrition Per Serving: 303 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 71 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 1 g fiber; 412 mg sodium; 561 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (17% daily value), Potassium (16% dv)
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 4 lean meat, 1 fat