Potato, Asparagus & Mushroom Hash
Made with asparagus, roasted red pepper and mushrooms, this hash has a fresh and light, springtime taste. Serve with hearty whole-grain toast and an egg or two on top.
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Yield: 4 servings, about 1 1/4 cups each
Active Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 pound new or baby potatoes, scrubbed, halved if large
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 bunch asparagus (about 1 pound), trimmed and cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 ounces shiitake mushroom caps or other mushrooms, sliced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped jarred roasted red peppers, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Fresh chives for garnish
- Place a steamer basket in a large saucepan, add 1 inch of water and bring to a boil. Put potatoes in the basket and steam until barely tender when pierced with a skewer, 12 to 15 minutes, depending on size. When cool enough to handle, chop into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large (not nonstick) skillet over medium heat. Add asparagus, mushrooms, shallot and garlic and cook, stirring often, until beginning to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the pan. Add onion and the potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally and scraping up the browned bits with a metal spatula, until the potatoes are browned, 4 to 8 minutes. Return the asparagus mixture to the pan along with roasted red pepper, sage, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute more. Serve sprinkled with chives, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Steam potatoes (Step 1); refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Nutrition Per Serving: 239 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 492 mg sodium; 777 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (28% daily value), Vitamin C (27% dv), Potassium (23% dv), Vitamin A (16% dv)
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat