Cheesy Potato Casserole
The original version of this cheesy potato casserole stars canned soup, full-fat sour cream, a stick of butter and a crust of crushed potato chips. We lightened it considerably by using a homemade white sauce instead of canned soup and swapping nonfat Greek yogurt for the sour cream. Crushed corn flakes replace the potato chips. All in all, we slashed 200 calories, 25 grams of fat (12 grams saturated) and 170 milligrams of sodium per serving. Dig in!
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
Yield: 10 servings, about 3/4 cup each
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 3/4 hours
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 2 pounds red potatoes, diced
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 8 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon plus a pinch of salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups crushed unsweetened corn flakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch (or similar-size) baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place potatoes in a large pot, add water to cover and bring to a boil. Immediately drain and rinse with cold water; drain well. Return to the pot.
- Meanwhile, whisk milk and cornstarch in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking often until bubbling and thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon, 2 to 4 minutes total. Remove from the heat and stir in Cheddar, yogurt, onion, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper until combined. Pour the sauce over the potatoes and mix well. Spread evenly in the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the casserole with corn flakes. Using short bursts, coat the corn flakes with cooking spray; sprinkle with the remaining pinch of salt. Bake until browned and bubbling at the edges, about 1 hour. Let cool for 20 minutes before serving.
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3; cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Let the casserole stand at room temperature while preheating the oven. Proceed with Step 4.
Nutrition Per serving:
233 calories; 8 g fat (5 g sat, 2 g mono); 25 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 2 g fiber; 396 mg sodium; 499 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (30% daily value), Iron (25% dv), Calcium (22% dv), Vitamin C (19% dv).
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 high-fat meat