Oven-Fry Poutine with Mushroom Gravy
Poutine (pu-teen)—fries topped with gravy and cheese curds—is a French-Canadian fast-food classic. Our lighter version features crispy oven-fried potatoes topped with just enough sharp cheese and a grease-free gravy that’s chock-full of fresh mushrooms.
From EatingWell: March/April 2011
Yield: 4 servings, about 3/4 cup potatoes & 1/3 cup gravy each
Active Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds new or baby potatoes, scrubbed and cut into quarters
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth or mushroom broth, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cremini or white mushrooms
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 1/2 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 450°F.
- Combine potatoes, 2 teaspoons oil and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a large bowl; toss to coat. Spread evenly on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast, stirring once or twice, until the potatoes are tender and browned, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Whisk 1/2 cup broth and flour in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat the remaining 3 teaspoons oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onion and cook, stirring often, until beginning to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the remaining 1 cup broth; bring to a simmer. Cook until reduced by about half, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the reserved flour and broth mixture; cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened, 1 to 3 minutes. Stir in chives and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; keep warm on low heat.
- When the potatoes are done, push them together in the center of the pan and sprinkle with cheese. Return to the oven; bake until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes more. Serve the potatoes topped with the gravy.
Nutrition Per serving:
274 calories; 11 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 4 g fiber; 489 mg sodium; 920 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (26% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Folate (16% dv).
2 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1/2 high fat meat, 1 fat