Quick Chicken Cacciatore
This version of the classic Italian recipe, chicken cacciatore, is done in half the time of most traditional versions, but is still full of rich flavor thanks to plenty of mushrooms, tomatoes and herbs.
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 8-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary or 3/4 teaspoon dried, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 14-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup sliced jarred roasted red peppers, rinsed
- 1/4 cup quartered Kalamata olives
- Place flour in a shallow bowl. Cut each chicken breast in half on the diagonal to make 4 roughly equal portions; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken in the flour and transfer to a plate. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the flour.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add mushrooms, onion, rosemary and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the vegetables with the reserved flour and cook, stirring, until coated. Add wine to the pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add drained tomatoes, broth, roasted red peppers and olives; bring to a lively simmer over medium-low heat.
- Return the chicken to the pan and continue cooking, stirring once or twice, until the liquid has thickened slightly and the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Serve the chicken with the sauce, garnished with rosemary, if desired.
Nutrition Per serving:
341 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 2 g fiber; 720 mg sodium; 479 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (27% daily value), Vitamin A (21% dv)
1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 2 fat