Quick Pickled Turnips
Perk up your cheese plate or crudites platter with these crunchy, zesty pickled turnips or try them on a sandwich instead of cucumber pickles.Yield: about 2 1/2 cups
Active Time: 10
Total Time: 40
- 3-4 small turnips (about 12 ounces), peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup quartered and thinly sliced red onion
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1 cup white-wine vinegar
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- Layer turnips, onion and garlic in a quart jar (or similar 4-cup container) with a lid.
- Whisk vinegar, hot water, sugar, peppercorns, salt and crushed red pepper (if using) in a medium bowl until the sugar is mostly dissolved. Pour the mixture over the vegetables. Put the lid on and gently shake a few times to distribute the flavorings. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes for the flavors to develop.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||0 g (0 g sat, 0 g mono)|
Carbohydrate Serving 0
Exchanges 1/2 vegetable
From EatingWell November/December 2012