Quick Spinach & Tomato Pasta
While the pasta cooks, whip up this vegetable-rich sauce for dinner in minutes.
From EatingWell: October 1997
Yield: 6 servings
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 pound whole-wheat pasta
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 14-ounce can tomatoes, drained
- 1 pound frozen spinach
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, according to package directions. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and sauté onion. Add tomatoes; simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in spinach; heat through. Drain the pasta, toss with sauce and season with salt and pepper. Top with feta.
Nutrition Per serving:
352 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 60 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 16 g fiber; 265 mg sodium; 618 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (181% daily value), Vitamin C (39% dv), Folate (25% dv), Iron (23% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Calcium (17% dv).
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1/2 fat