Quick Tomato Soup
This is a great “pantry soup”—that is, it comes together in minutes from ingredients that you can keep on hand all the time.Yield: 6 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each
Active Time: 15
Total Time: 30
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs, such as thyme, oregano, rosemary or basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 2 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups nonfat or low-fat milk
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, herbs and crushed red pepper (if using); cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, water and sugar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in milk and heat through, about 1 minute.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||3 g (1 g sat, 2 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin A (35% dv), Potassium (26% dv), Calcium & Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Serving 1
Exchanges 1/2 nonfat milk, 3 vegetable, 1 fat
From EatingWell The Simple Art of EatingWell