Vegetarian Quinoa & Squash Casserole
An aromatic mixture of garlic, paprika, cumin, coriander, allspice and cayenne flavors this vegetarian quinoa and squash casserole recipe. Frozen squash is a super-easy topping.
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Yield: 6 servings, about 1 2/3 cups each
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups frozen chopped spinach
- 1 cup quinoa or whole-wheat couscous
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 10- to 12-ounce boxes frozen pureed squash, thawed
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and browned, 9 to 11 minutes. Add garlic, paprika, 2 teaspoons cumin, coriander, cayenne and allspice and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes, spinach, quinoa (or couscous), raisins, water and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- If thawed squash is watery, place in a fine-mesh sieve and gently press to extract excess liquid. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Spread the squash evenly over the chickpea mixture.
- Cover the pan and bake until steaming hot, about 45 minutes for quinoa (15 minutes for couscous). Let cool for 5 minutes. Serve sprinkled with cilantro.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2, transfer to a 3-quart baking dish; top with squash mixture (Step 3), cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Let stand at room temperature while oven preheats. Bake, covered, until bubbling at the edges and heated through, about 45 minutes.
Nutrition Per Serving: 438 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 76 g carbohydrates; 15 g protein; 14 g fiber; 741 mg sodium; 1088 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (204% daily value), Folate (57% dv), Magnesium & Vitamin C (40% dv), Iron (39% dv)
4 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 1 lean meat, 1 fat