Ratatouille of Roasted Vegetables
In this Provencal classic, roasting rather than sauteing the vegetables enables you to cut back dramatically on the amount of olive oil in the recipe.
From EatingWell: September/October 1993
Yield: 6 servings, scant 1 cup each
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 90
- 1 large head garlic
- 12 ripe plum tomatoes, cored, halved and seeded
- 1 eggplant, (1-1 1/4 pounds), cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 small zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 small summer squash, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 Spanish onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut in half lengthwise and seeded
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, cut in half lengthwise and seeded
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Set oven racks at the two lowest levels; preheat to 450°F. Peel away as much of the papery skin from garlic as possible and wrap the head loosely in foil. Roast until the garlic is very soft, about 30 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, lightly coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray. Arrange tomatoes, eggplant slices, zucchini, squash, onion and red and yellow bell peppers on the prepared baking sheets. Roast, turning once, until just tender and browned, about 20 minutes. Let cool slightly. Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- Separate the garlic cloves and squeeze the soft pulp into a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven. Slip skins from the tomatoes and peppers. Roughly chop the roasted vegetables and add to the pan. Stir in basil, oil, thyme, oregano, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Cover and bake, stirring occasionally, until heated through and thickened, about 30 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Taste and adjust seasonings, and serve hot or at room temperature.
Nutrition Per Serving: 163 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 9 g fiber; 219 mg sodium; 1286 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (250% daily value), Vitamin A (74% dv), Potassium (37% dv), Folate (27% dv), Magnesium (17% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 5 vegetable, 1 fat